What Happens if You use Too Much Algaecide in Pools, Fish Tanks or Ponds? WHAT TO DO!

Spread the love

Too much algaecide in your pool water causes tiny foamy bubbles that damage the filtration system. Similarly, too much algaecide in a pond or fish tank can kill your fishes.

Some side effects of algaecide overdose include skin and eye irritation. You are advised to stay out of the pool until the algaecide concentration dissipates. For pond, or aquarium, you should get the fishes out and change water as soon as possible.

Note: Algaecide is for the prevention, not the removal of algae. Chlorine is what kills algae and its best form is liquid Chlorine (bleach). Solid forms act slower, and mostly adds too much CYA (conditioner), and effect other water balance levels.

But, Why Does Algaecide Make My Pool Foam, even when it is too Much?

There are different algaecide types but the one most prone to foaming is a “linear-quat algaecide”. They are cheap and you basically get what you pay for. If you must use an algaecide at all, we recommend “PolyQuat 60 (BUY ON AMAZON)”.

See also  Does Muriatic Acid Go Bad? DISCOVER HERE!

It is a much better alternative, doesn’t foam (even when you overdose), is super effective, and works as a clarifier as well.

The downside is that it is quite expensive but well worth the price if you ask me.

My Pool Foams from Algaecide, What Can I do?

Your foaming water will dissipate over time as chlorine slowly breaks it down. To speed up the process, you should shock the pool with higher chlorine levels, but this might not be necessary as it will go away probably in about a week (two at the most).

Another solution would be to get some defoamer (BUY ON AMAZON). Check the spa section of your local mart. A defoamer does not get rid of the algaecide but it does get rid of the foams.

ALSO SEE: Why is My Pool Losing Water when Pump is Off?

Effects of Too Much Algaecide in Pool

You might not even need any algaecide in the first place but no adding too much algaecide in the pool won’t make your pool dangerous to swim.

It may sting the eyes more, and make the water foamy, but it will go away after a week, if your run your filter 24/7 and keep the chlorine levels up.

See also  What is BBB Pool Method for Dummies? - SECRET RECIPE!

Too Much Algaecide in Pool

How to Clear a Cloudy Water

First, if you have a liner pool, you do NOT need calcium.

Do you have a liber pool with a wandering pH ? No need to add baking soda!

Neither should you use a phosphate remover.

There are many possible reasons for cloudy water, but:

  1. Run your filter 24/7
  2. Keep the chlorine levels above 3 ppm
  3. Get a cheap OTO (BUY ON AMAZON) / phenol red (yellow / red) drops kit and test your pH & chlorine (NO STRIPS!)
  4. Order a K2006 test kit (BUY ON AMAZON), to find out what’s really in your pool. CYA levels (stabilizer) are critical.
  5. Keep the kids away from the deep end, if the water is cloudy — you don’t want to loose one in cloudy water!

Good luck!

READ MORE: Pool Filter Leaking from Bottom Cap

How to Get Rid Of Too much Algaecide In Pool (Quick Guide)

The best approach to getting rid of the too many algaecide in your swimming pool would be to wait it out. With time (usually within a week), the bubbles and foam caused by the high algaecide level in your pool will breakdown on it’s own.

Natural evaporation and backwash will quicken the removal of deep algaecide concentration too.

See also  Jandy vs. Pentair vs Hayward - Water, Pool & Irrigation Equipment

Here come’s a quicker solution

To eradicate algaecide concentration quicker, we recommend draining the pool partially and then adding fresh water to balance the water chemistry.

Lastly, run the filtration for around 2 hours so the pool water can circulate better. This will help the algaecide to be totally mixed with and dissolve in the water.

If you want it to be gone even quicker, then you should add chlorine or any anti-foam chemical to the water.

Too Much Algaecide in Pond

So, you mistakenly added too much algaecide in the water tank or pond? First, perform a 75% water change, but don’t replace the copper contaminated water with chlorine, that is even more dangerous.

If you are unable to get the fish out, you should increase oxygenation as much as you can. Now, get a dechlorinator ASAP and perform a water change.

If your fishes make it through the night and you’re able to do the water change, you may want to consider using Laguna Pond Detoxifier to remove what is left in the water. You can order it here: BUY ON AMAZON

The issue with algaecide is that they have proven to kill fishes even at recommended levels. Goldfish and Koi fishes are easily susceptible to copper.

Author: Howard S. Baldwin

My name is Howard S. Baldwin. I am a work-at-home dad to three lovely girls, Jane + Hannah + Beauty. I have been blogging for the last 3 years. I worked for other Home and Lifetsyle blogs, did hundreds of product reviews and buyers’ guides. Prior to that, I was a staff accountant at a big accounting firm. Needless to say, researching and numbers are my passion. My goal is to be an informative source for any topic that relates to DIY life and homemaking.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.